Monday, August 27, 2018

Food & Pet Safety

It’s hard to believe that it’s already August! Life is busy and summer can fly by in what feels like the blink of an eye. It’s CJ here and I’m hanging out with my friend Rex, relaxing and enjoying every last minute of summer weather. How about it, Rex?

Rex: Woof, summer is my favorite season…. woof woof!

CJ: You like being outside in the heat, Rex?

Rex: Yup, I love relaxing outside enjoying the marvelous weather, and eating some of my favorite food. Woof!

CJ: Fair enough – but us animals have to be careful about what we eat.

Rex: Woof woof! I didn’t know certain foods could give me tummy problems. My mom has our veterinarian make the right diet for me.

CJ: That’s great, Rex! We want to avoid eating raw foods because they contain germs like salmonella and listeria. Additionally, they have been found in raw pet food, and these bacteria can make us very sick.

Rex: I had no idea! I love raw meat - especially bones!

CJ: Sorry to burst your bubble Rex, but poultry, pork bones, or cooked bones of any kind can splinter into smaller pieces and can become a choking hazards, or worse, create damage to the throat or intestines!

Rex: That sounds serious! Woof!

CJ: It is serious, Rex! That’s why choosing a nutritionally balanced meal is important. We want to avoid foods with fat listed within the first four ingredients. I put together a list of poisonous foods I heard Bulverde’s doctors discussing recently.
  • Avocados
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Grapes & Raisins
  • Mike & Dairy
  • Onions/Garlic/Chives
  • Raw Meat
CJ: If your mom or dad has any questions regarding food & pet safety, just have them call Bulverde Animal Hospital. They’ll work with your parents to determine the best nutrition plan for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment